Friday, August 10, 2007

Stairs & Rain

Its not so much that getting used to the weather as cold or wet or sunny is difficult... its hard getting used to all of those within the same hour. On the flip side, I think I've seen more rainbows in the past month than previously in my life.

I find stairs to be the most dominating feature of UCT's campus. It is built into the sloping base of the mountain, and while on the campus map they gave us at orientation, it looks like a nice, simple campus, the elevation throws you for a loop. If you enter a building from the back, you might be as high as the fourth floor. I have class in one building where the odd numbered floors are on one side of the stairs and the even ones are on the other, so you only walk half a flight of stairs to each floor. This confusion starts to come in handy, though, when you start using back doors to dodge the rain.

I went on campus and took pictures, but I dont have them with me right now.

Lastly, I need to tell you about my cab driver friends.
Here, you can call a cab company and get some random driver, but drivers will also give you their card with their own contact on it. This works out because you get to know them, and which guys are reliable and which ones will take 40 minutes to show up. Also, some of the cab companies will charge you for how long it takes from them to leave downtown to come pick you up and then to wherever youre going, so if you have the numbers for drivers who are more local you save money.
This one driver, Archie, someone found and we've been calling him a lot when we need a ride. He gives us advice on where ever we're going or where we should go next time, and then tells us stories about his other job as an EMT. Another driver I've called more than once was really useful this past Thursday. It was National Women's Day, a public holiday, and we knew there were events going on in one area of town, but could not find details anywhere. He asked us where exactly in that area did we want to go, and when we asked him where he though events would be going on, he completely elaborated on all the activities that should be going on and where.
Basically, I've found easy reliable transport, and since we've called them more than once, they're pretty flexible on their pricing, which is nice, too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hills on campus? My Trojan brain is unable to comprehend such a thing.